Avarekai is most popular breakfast from karnataka. Makes during winter season. I already mentioned Avarekai is a Indian Lilva Beans (surti papdi) available only in winter season in south. It's very tasty and yummy breakfast/thindi.
Prep Time : 2 Mins + 8 + 4hrs batter time
Cook Time : 10 Mins
Ingredients for Idli
- Idli Arshi / Idli Rice / Idli Akki - 1 & 1/2 cup
- Uraddal / Ulthuparppu/ Udhinabele - 1 cup
- Sea salt / Rock salt - to taste (1/2 tsp)
- Avarekai kalu / Lima beans - cooked 1 cup
- Soak the idli rice and Uraddal in a water about 4 hrs in a separate bowls
- After 4 hrs drain all the water and add into wetgrinder first rice add 1 cup of water and grind into a smooth batter (use mixer if grinder not available)
- Then transfer into a bowl then add uraddal with 1/2 cup of water grind into smooth batter
- Transfer into rice batter bowl mix thoroughly both if need add 1/4 cup of water, add salt stir and cover the lid
- In the mean time cook the avarekai (lima beans) place it inthe pressure cooker add 1/2 cup of water with little pinch of salt wait until 2 whistle. Switch off the flame wait for cool down the cooker then drain all the water and add only avarekai(beans) to the idli batter stir once and close the lid for fermentation about 8 hrs. (do it in the night itself)
- Next day morning add enough water in a pressure cooker and heat on allow to boil water
- Take a plate idli stand (Tatte Idli stand) rub with little oil and pour the batter in each plate (tatte) and place it in the pressure cooker and close the lid ( do not put weight) cook for 10 mins. Check the idlies using wet finger if it not sticky then idli is done or leave for another 5 mins to cook
- Remove and wait for little cool. Then take out gently all sides using spoon serve with coconut chutney or pickle.
Note : if you do not tatte stand (Idli plate stand) use regular round idli stand.