This sweet dish is made during festivals in karnataka and my mom, who is here with me now, made it and i helped her. In the process i also learned how to make it. I would say it is a bit difficult to make. Since this is a festive season till Diwali I thought to share this all with. We love this sweet in our family.
Ingredients for Purna
- Rava (Upma Rava) / Rave - 100 grms
- Coconut / Thenga - 1 cup, grated
- Dry Coconut / Kobri - 1 cup
- Jaggery / Vellu - 5 cup
- Cardamom powder / Elaki pudi - 1 tsp
- Poppy seeds / Gasagase - 1/2 tsp
Method for Purna which is the filling for the Sweet Dish
- Take a large and thick pan.
- Add 1/4 cup of water
- Add Jaggery and let it boil well till it get sticky
- Then add coconut and kobri (dry coconut)
- Mix well upto 5 to 10 mix, constantly stiring
- Add rava ( do not fry the rava) , elaki powder and khuskhus (gasagase / poppy seeds) and stir constantly on low flame for 5 mins. Switch off and cool.
- This can be stored in a box and refrigerated for future use too.
- Maida - 1/2 cup
- Chiroti Rava / Sojji Rava - 1 cup
- Oil - 2 tbspn
- Take Maida and sieve well. With a little bit of water and make it into a dough Cover & keep it aside for couple of hours.
- Make small size balls out of the dough
- Grease the hands with oil and press the small dough balls to make it flat (same size as we make for puri's )
- Add medium size purna / sweet filling (which was prepared earlier) in the middle of the flat pressed dough
- Cover / Fold the edges so that the purna / filling is fully covered
- Deep fry it in the oil till golden brown (on medium flame)
Recipe Source : My Mom
|| Copyright © Malas - Kitchen 2009 | | All rights reserved|