Kothamalli is a Tamil word called Coriander leaves / Cilantro. This is simple and easy recipe. It is a great accompaniment with white rice, curd rice or chapati , dosa, idli etc. I usually buy it from Grandsweets or Snack aisles. But i wanted to trying it on my own. So I followed the recipe in youtube Srirangam Radhu's recipe. Recipe came out very tasty. But these didn't long last. It will last for 10-15days when stored / refrigerated. It is a good homemade fresh thokku.
Prep Time : 15 Mins
- Coriander leaves - 1 cup
- Malaka / Red chillies - 4-6 (i've used Byadagi chillies)
- Tamarind / Puli - a small lemon size or use paste (1 tbsp, i have used paste)
- Asafoetida / hing / Periyangum - 1/2 tsp
- Chanadal / Kadalparppu - 2 tbsp
- Urad dal / Ulthuparppu - 2 tbsp
- Rocksalt or Sea salt - to taste
- Oil - 2 tbsp (i have used Olive oil)
- Chop the coriander leaves trim the stems and clean and rinse thoroughly and drain water completely
- In a pan heat oil then add chanadal, uraddal, chillies fry together till dal gets golden color then add tamarind fry for 2 mins. Remove from the flame let them cool a bit then make a fine powder later on add hing / asafoetida and corinader leave ( do not add water) becoz corinader leaves itself moist. Grind into a smooth paste. Add salt and blend it again.
- Take out and transfer into a bowl. Heat oil (2 tbsp olive oil) in a pan pour it into thokku mix well and transfer into glass jar.