Halbai is a authentic traditional Karnataka sweet. It is made out of whole wheat grains , coconut milk & Jaggery. But also make other versions of Halbai using Rice or Ragi. This sweet is little tedious process takes longer time. It's very hard to get into right texture. This is my 2nd try came out good consistency and perfect texture & made less quantity. Very delicious sweet, recipe by my mother-in-law.
Prep Time : 15 Mins + 8hrs Soaking time
Cook Time : 40 Mins
- Whole wheat / Godhi - 1 cup
- Coconut / Thenginakayi, fresh - 1 cup
- Jaggery / Bella - 2 cups (Adjust as per taste)
- Cardamom Powder / Elakki pudi - 1/2 tsp
- Ghee / Thupa - 4 tbsp
- Soak wheat for 8 hrs. Then drain water, In a blender put soaked wheat add 1/2 cup water. Blend and strain the wheat paste. Repeat the process twice & discard the wheat residue.
- Blend the coconut using little water and squeeze out the coconut milk or make a smooth paste or can be used store bought coconut milk ( i have used squeezed the coconut milk)
- In a large heavy bottom pan/wok add jaggery & add 2 tbsp water bring it to a boil on medium flame
- Once jaggery melt and becomes froth add wheat paste and coconut milk bring it to a boil. Keep on stirring until mixture thickens.
- Add cardamom powder and ghee keep on stirring
- Halbai mixture leave the sides and it comes non sticky
- Transfer into ghee greased plate and allow it cool down for 30 mins
- Cut the square/diamond shapes pieces.