Kumbalakai is called in Kanndada also Kumblakai /White Pumpkin/Melon in English. Sambar is SouthIndian gravy. Which is made from lentils and Veggies. Home made fresh sambar powder recipe here - Sambar Powder
Prep Time : 5-8 Mins
Cook Time : 12-15 Mins
Serve - 2-4
Ingredients for Sambar powder
- Kadal Parappu / Kadle Bele / Chana Dal - 2 tbp
- Dhania / Coriander Seeds - 1 tsp
- Bhaydgi Malka / Bhaydgi Mensinakai / Red Chillies - 2-4(adjust to taste)
- Chekke / Cinnamon - a small piece
- Lavanga / Cloves - 2
Method for powder
- Heat pan roast sambar ingredients one after another and keep away.
Ingredients for Sambar
- White Pumpkin/BuduKumbalakai/Possainkai - 2 cups (chopped into lengthwise)
- Red chori beans / Karamani - 1/4 cup (soaked 2hrs before)
- Lentils / Toor dal / Thavarparppu - 1 cup
- Tomato - a small or 1/2
- Tamarind / Puli / Huli - 3/4tsp (paste) 2 tsp (juice)
- Jaggery/Vellu/Bella - a small piece
- Salt to taste
- Coconut - 4 tbsp
- Sambar powder (Sambarpowder + Cococnut )
- Water - 1 cup
- Rasam powder/Malakapudi/Sarinapudi - 1 tsp
- Curry leaves - few leaves
- Oil - 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds / Kadag - 1 tsp
- Hing / Asafoetida / Peryangum - 1/4 tsp
Method for Sambar
- In a bowl add washed dal , beans(karamani) & tomato add 2 cups of water and place it in the pressure cooker. Wait until 3 whistles and turn off the flame. Let it cool down
- In a mean while chop pumpkin add water in a pan add chopped pumpkin, salt and cook till tender
- In a mixer add roasted sambar mix and coconut add little water and grind into a smooth paste
- In a same pumpkin pan mix paste then add tamarind , jaggery, salt to taste. Bring to boil add rasam powder add cooked dal and beans boil for few mins
- Finelly chopped curry leaves. turn off the flame and remove pan.
- Take small pan add oil , add mustard seeds allow to splutter then hing pour into sambar
- Serve with white hot rice with ghee.
- Make a sambar powder recipe and keep it in airtight box
- In a mixer add 2 tsp of sambar powder and coconut add water and make a fine paste and mix into veggie.
- Rest sambar process is same as above.