Flax seeds is good for health, excellent nutritious. More info reference Wiki.
It is called in kannada - Agase beja, Hindi - Alase, Tamil - Alivitaikal. Normally i used for smoothies. Now i tried to add it into chutney powder tastes good. My one of my friend(Leela) suggested to try this powder but her recipe is slightly different than my recipe. Also can be used for dry currys. Can be had with dosa, idli and it matches any tiffin.
Prep Time : 25 Mins
Cook Time : 5 Mins
- Chana dal / Bengal gram / Kadale bele - 2 Cups (100grms)
- Flax seeds / Alasi / Agase beja - 1 cup (50grms)
- Urad dal / Black gram / Uddina bele - 1 cup (50grms)
- Red Chillies /Byadagi chillies & Guntur - 6 Byadagi + 2 Gunturchillies (adjust to taste)
- Curry leaves / Kari Baavu soppu - 1/2 cup
- Grated Coconut / Dessicated / Kobri - 1/2 cup
- Tamarind Paste(2 tbspn) or soaked chunks / Huli - 1/4 cup
- Asafoetida / Hing / Ingu - 1/2 tsp
- Jaggery / Bella to taste - a small piece
- Salt to taste
- Oil - 2 tsbn
- Mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp
- Heat wok / pan roast bengal gram & black gram till light golden color
- Roast flax seeds till it splutter and keep aside
- In the same wok roast chillies on low flame & keep aside.
- Wash the curry leaves and dry fry for few minutes & keep aside
- Fry coconut for 2secs on low flame
- Mix all with salt (to taste) jaggery & hing make a nice powder using mixer / blender and keep aside
- Heat oil in a small pan add mustard seeds allow to splutter then add tamarind Paste OR tamarind chunks soaked and pressure cook cool it and add it into the pan gently. Mix well in the oil & remove from the flame, cool it and Mix powder to the oil by hand then blend once it will mix properly.
- Transfer into glass jar and store it for longer days.