I have already posted this long time back. That is also a Kartharkai yengai. But the only diffference is a grinded masala which is added to it. This gives a little different taste. Kartharkai is a Tamil/Iyengar word for Eggplant/Brinjal.
Prep Time : 15 Mins
Cook Time : 10 Mins
Serve : 2
- Small Baby eggplants / Brinjals - 10 count
- Yengai Powder - 4 tbsp
- Coconut - 4 tbsp
- Curry leaves - few
- Asafoetida / Hing - a pinch
- Salt to taste
- Oil - 4 tbsp
- Tamarind paste or juice - 1 tsp for juice / 1/4 tsp for paste
- Jaggery - a little piece to taste
- Wash and chop the eggplant into big pieces.
- Heat oil in large pan
- Add mustard seeds , hing, curry leaves. Wait until mustard seeds allow them to splutter
- Then add egg plant stir fry on medium flame
- Sprinkle little water and close the lid. Cook until tender / soft
- In the mean while blend the coconut and yengai powder along with little water make a smooth paste
- Stir the eggplant , sprinkle salt , yengai paste , tamarind paste and jaggery add one by one.
- Stir well allow to cook for few mins then transfer into a bowl and serve with chapati or roti.