Banana stem dishes is a healthy. It helps detoxification. This looks difficult to cut but not at all. I feel it is quite easy process. Banana stem makes variety of dishes like (curd raita, spicy curry, thove etc will come up next post). In Sri vaishnavism Iyengar cooking is not prepared on normal/ regular days. This is typical thirvidhyanam (death anniversary) dish. But now a days everyone came to know it is very healthy rich in fiber so can starts doing on the regular days.
How to cut ?
- Remove outer layers till thick inner layer comes
- Then cut into round pieces take away roll them fiber thread thoroughly while cutting for each pieces
- Put it into water otherwise turn into black
- Chop them into small/tiny cubes for curry
Prep Time : 10 Mins
Cook Time : 10 Mins
- Banana Stem / Valethind / Baledindu - 2 cups (chopped)
- Moongdal / Paithuparppu - 1/4 cup
- Coconut fresh grated - 2 tbps
- Lime juice - 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Mustard seeds / Kadag / Sasive - 1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida / Periyangum / Hing - 1/4 tsp
- Curry leaves / Karvappale - few leaves
- Red chillies / Choop malaka / Kempu mensinakai - 2 in to pieces
- Urad dal / Ulthupappru / Udhinabele - 1 tsp
- Oil - 2tbsp
- Remove outpart and chop into inner part of banana stemp (pic as shown in the above). chopped into small cubes
- In a pan add moong dal then mix with banana stem add 1/4 or very less water place it in the pressure cooker. Wait till one whistle and then turn off the stove let it cool
- Heat oil in a pan add all tempering ingredients one by one add cooked banana stem and dal into pan
- Stir fry add salt, coconut stir turn off the stove sprinkle lime / lemon juice mix well
- Serve with hot white rice.