Is a very famous Maharastrain snack. Long time since i have made this at home. So prepared especially for my husband. He likes all Maharastrain and few Andhra dishes.
Misal paav is nothing like karnataka's (kaalu saru) sprouts sambar. Just a little bit of change the masala and adding onions into the misal, You can have it along with buns (paav) butter fried. I have used the Maharashtrian Goda Masala for this.
For Goda Masala, i have borrowed the recipe from Trupti's Blog. For Misal recipe i have used the recipe from Mumbai Masala as a guideline but I have changed the method.
Ingredients for Usal & Kat (curry)
- Moth / Matki Beans - 2 cups (Sprouts)
- Goda Masala / Garam Masala - 2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Red Chilli powder - 1 tsp
- Jaggery - 1 tsp or small piece
- Potatoes cubes - 1/4 cup
- Onion, chopped - 1/2 cup
- Tamarind pulp - 1 tsp
- 5 tsp Oil
- Farsaan (Mixed spicy mixture) / Any spicy mixture
- Onion, chopped
- Coriander leaves, chopped
Method for curry / kat
- Soak moth /matki beans overnight. Drained out the water and cover it tightly and leave them to sprout for one day
- Cook the sprout in the pressure cooker till 2 or 3 whistle.
- Take a pan heat oil and add 1/2 tsp mustard seeds allow to splutter, add hing / asafoetida, add turmeric a pinch.
- Add chopped onions and fry till get pink color
- Add Potato cubes fry and add 1/4 cup of water & boil till potatoes tender
- Add cooked sprouted beans add 1 cup of water
- Add salt , goda masala, chilli powder, tamarind & jaggery, add one by one
- Bring to boil for 5 to 8 minutes till semi thick.
- Take a plate pour ladle full of curry
- On top of it spread onions
- Sprinkle farsaan or any mixture and sprinkle coriander leaves
- Serve with hot butter fried buns / paav
| Copyright © Malas - Kitchen 2009 | | All rights reserved