Shahi Biryani is a tradional royal Long grain rice dish. (Shahi means Royal). Flavourfull blend with gravy, spices and loads of vegetables mixed together. Served with Raita. There are many versions & types of Biryani itself. This is a hugely popular rice dish in India. You can also make this as Non-Vegetarian. It takes time to prepare. This is my version of Biryani. I am sure that if you googled or looked into cook books you will find other types and methods as well.
Prep Time : 15 Mins
Cook Time : 25 Mins
Serve : 4
- Basmati Rice (Long grain rice) - 3 cups
- Ghee (Desi Ghee , Clarified butter) - 2 tbsp
- Tomato Puree - 1/2 cup
- Yogurt (Thick Curds) - 1/2 cup
- Saffron Milk - 1 tsp
- Vegetables - ( Broccoli, Cauliflower, Green beans, Carrots, Paneer cubes, Potato cubes )3/4 cooked and each 1/4 cup (Slightly roast the paneer separately on the tava)
- Onions - 1 Cup , thinly sliced
- Ginger - 1/2 tsp grated
- Garlic - 1 tsp grated
- Cashew pieces - 1 tsp
- Whole Cardamom pods - 4 count
- Bay leaf - 2 count
- Clove - 4 count
- Cinnamon - a small piece 2 count
- Salt to taste
- Oil - 1/2 cup
- Red Chilli Powder - 1/2 tsp
- Shahi Biryani Powder - 3 tbsp ( I used Everest brand)
- Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp
Step 1 : Rinse the rice and add enough(aprox for 3 cups 2 cups of water my measurement) amount of water along with clove and cinnamon and 1 tsp of oil. Place it in the rice cooker. Let it cook till 3/4th done.
- Heat big kadai / Pan add oil then add onions fry till done. Add ghee, cardamom pods, clove, bayleaf , cinnamon & cashews fry for 2 mins .
- Then add tomato puree cook for 1 min
- Add ginger , garlic , chillipowder, shahi biryani powder, turmeric powder stir well
- Add yogurt/curds saute well until oil & ghee get separates then add veggies and paneer mix well close the lid reduced heat for 5 mins.
- Then add 3/4th cooked rice spread the layer ,Sprinkle salt and saffron milk cover tightly and cook for 5-8 mins . Then mix well. Garnish blanched sliced almonds and mint leaves.
- Serve with any raita.
| Copyright © Malas - Kitchen 2014 | | All rights reserved