Modak is a Marathi word. It is a sweet dumpling made out of Jaggery / Gud. In Karnataka we call it as kadabu. In Tamil, Kolkattai. All the regions recipe & method are almost one and the same. It sometimes differs only in shape. Also made out of steamed version or fried version. This Modak used for moulds to fold the perfect shape. In my preparation I have not used any mould as i don't have it. This sweet is offered on the day of GaneshChathurthi.
Prep Time : 15 Mins
Cook Time : 15 Mins
Ingredients for Sweet filling
- Jaggery - 1 cup
- Fresh Coconut grated - 1 cup
- Poppy seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Cardamom powder - 1/2 tsp
- Take a non sticky pan add jaggery on a low flame stir jaggery completely melt then add coconut stir continuously 4-5 mins or till mixture thickens
- Add poppy seeds and caradom powder mix well and switch off the flame let it cool completely
Ingredients for dough
- Rice flour - 1 cup
- Boiling water - 2/3 cup
- In a bowl add rice flour and add water slowly and stir and then make a stiff dough and close and keep aside for 5-10 mins
- Prepare the dough first then prepare for sweet filling
- Take a small portion of dough , grease oil in your palm or plastic sheet
- Flatten them into small round shape add a spoon full of sweet mixture and close the all the edges slowly using oil.
- Repeat the rest of the dough
- In a pressure cooker add enough water on a medium flame
- Take a lager flat bowl place muslin cloth or banana leaf then place all the modaks slowly cover the cloth and keep it in the pressure cooker (do not put weight) steam for 10 mins
- Cool and place them in a plate.