Nellikaai is a tamil / kannada word for Indian Gooseberry. This is very rich in Protein. It is widely used in India in Ayurvedic Medicines, Hair Treatments and also house remedies. These are avalialbe mostly in the winter season. We use this to make dishes on the day of a festival called. Tulsi Puja.
My mother makes powder of this and stores it in normal temp / refrigerator.The method of making the powder is to remove the seed. Cut it into small pieces and dry it in the sun.When it is dried thoroughly it can be grinded to make it into powder OR the dried pieces can be stored too.This powder can be used in dishes to give it a tangy tast. These are also used to make pickles. This is a very tedious process but I love Nellikaai Pickle.
Ingredients - Nellikaai + Pachadi
- Indian Gooseberry (Bettada Nellikaai / Amla) - 5 to 6
- Coconut, grated - 4 tsp
- Green chillies - 2
- Salt to taste
- Curds - 1 cup
- Coriander leaves - 2 tsp
- Oil - 2 tsp
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Methi / Fenugreek seeds - 1 tsp
- Asafoetida / Hing - 1/2 tsp
- Pressure cook the gooseberries / Nellikaai, cool and remove the seeds
- Grind the boiled nellikaai, and other ingredients except curd. Make a chutney
- Heat oil in a small pan & add mustard seeds, methi / fenugreek seeds and hing till they splutter and pour it into the chutney
- Mix curds with chutney
- Serve with hot plain rice.
|| Copyright © Malas - Kitchen 2008 | | All rights reserved|