Happy Diwali To All my fellow bloggers and also to my viewers.
Diwali / Deepavali (Festival of Lights) is a very fun filled popular festival all over India. Hope that everyone (those who celebrate) celebrated Diwali in a grand way. Past 3 days i have making different sweets. Today i have made a special sweet which is a very typical and special Iyengar dish. This is called “Garg Obbatt” in tamil. There are various ways of making obbattu with different ingredients. “Obbattu” is a very poplular and mostly made during marriages & other special occasions.
Of course, the source for this recipe is from my mother.
Ingredients - To Dough
- 1 Cup Maida flour
- 1/2 Cup Semolina (Sooji Rava / Chiroti Rava)
- 1 tsp Oil
- Water to knead a dough
- Mix all the ingredients and knead a dough keep aside for 1 hr.
- 1 Cup Bengal gram (Chana dal / Kadale bele / Kadal Purppu)
- 1 Cup Jaggery (Bella / Gur / Vellu )
- 1 Cup Coconut (grated)
- 1 tsp Raw Rice
- 1 tsp Cardamom Powder
- 1 tsp Water
- Roast the bengal gram and make a fine powder using blender & keep aside
- Take a large heavy bottom wok.
- Add jaggery + water mix well till forms to frother
- Add coconut and stir constantly till semi thick
- Add bengal gram powder stir then add cardamom powder again stir well
- Add rice, stir constantly for 10 minutes till thick on low flame then switch off the flame. Cool it
- Take a dough & make a small balls
- Roll them like size of puri using rolling pin
- Fill the sweet inside and cover the edges of dough and roll them with the help of maida.
- Heat pan and put obbatt and fry on both the sides till done. ( Do not add oil / ghee).
| Copyright © Malas - Kitchen 2008 | | All rights reserved