Sometimes you need a change from the regular curry with the regular vegetables. So here is my new recipe with bitter gourd (hagalkayi in kannada and karela in Hindi) ka salan.I usually use this bitter gourd to make gojju and frying it with salt and pepper...Well, now this is the a new recipe and it is very delicious. Try it...
- Karela / Hagalkayi / Bittergourd - 6
- Tamarind pulp - 1 tsp
- Jaggery to taste
- Water - 1/2 cup
- Garam Masala -1 tsp
- Coriander leaves
- Oil - 2 tsbp
- Onion - 1, chopped
- Ginger + Garlic - 1+1 tsp
- Whole dry red chilli - 4 (acc to taste)
- Dhaniya seeds / Coriander seeds - 1tsp
- Jeera seeds / Cumin seeds - 1tsp
- Til / Sesame Seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Roasted Peanuts - 1 tsp
Method for the Masala Paste
- Heat pan add 1 tsp oil and fry all the above masala ingredients.
- Grind into a paste in a blender. Keep aside
- Peel the skin of karela / bittergourd and remove seeds. Apply turmeric and salt keep aside for 1/2 hr
- Heat oil in a pan. Add karela/bittergourd fry till they tender.
- Add masala in to pan
- Add salt, jaggery, tamarind, garam masala, water stir well
- Cover and cook for 10minutes on low flame.
Recipe Source : Sanjeev Kapoor