Kolambu

>> March 29, 2007

kolambu2 photo DSC08855_zps0ec77338.jpg

Ingredients
  • You can use any type of vegetables( Beans, Peas, Or mixed Veggies, White pumpkin, Dill leaves , Chokothne leaves)
  • Grated Coconut - 1 cup
  • Red chillies - 5/6
  • Dhania / Coriander seeds - 2 tsp
  • Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
  • Turmeric powder - 1 tsp
  • Salt to taste
  • Toor Dal - 1 cup
  • Tomato - 1
  • Water - 2 cups
Method
  1. Grind Red chilllies, Coconut, Dhania, Turmeric Powder , Mustard seeds all together add little bit of water in to the mixer
  2. Wash the toor dal
  3. Keep toor dal in a pressure cooker add tomato, 1 cup water to it
  4. Take a pan add water and add veg's (your choice) cook till done
  5. Add grind masala for the kolamb
  6. Add Toor dal and squeeze tomato
  7. Bring in to a boil for few minutes
  8. Add salt boil for few minutes
Serve with Rice

Kolambu photo DSC08845_zps6720a423.jpg

| Copyright © Malas - Kitchen 2007 | | All rights reserved

10 comments:

Srihari February 6, 2008 at 3:31 PM

Hi
This is the first time i have seen a Kolomb receipe anywher. Looks interesting as i have never eaten it with Tomato before. Have to try it

Soumya,  September 24, 2010 at 12:30 PM

Hi Mala,
It is so refreshing to see a 'Hebbar Iyengar' recipe blog. It takes me back to my childhood and my mom's cooking.
Will try out the 'gasagase kanumbdh' this week.

Shweta,  May 4, 2014 at 9:27 PM

usually tomato is never added.

Vanamala Hebbar May 5, 2014 at 2:12 PM

@ Shweta

Adding Tomato it gives little bit taste. My entire family and my mom all like to add tomato to the kolambu

Sheetal Naik August 13, 2014 at 12:33 PM

We never add tomato to kolambu

Vanamala Hebbar August 13, 2014 at 1:25 PM

@ Sheetal - Tomato is just an optional. My family likes to add tomato. Becoz gives little bit taste.

Unknown September 24, 2014 at 8:57 AM

Nice to see other Kolambu lovers :). My mother adds a tsp of raw rice when grinding the coconut, gives more texture

Vanamala Hebbar September 24, 2014 at 2:29 PM

@Unknown

Oh that's nice.. I will give it a try to add raw rice.

meera,  October 17, 2014 at 2:53 PM

Yenku Kolumbh rombha favourite, especially with soppsige soppu/dill
adhe kolumbh masala vye thair ku potu..morepuli pandru
Thanks for sharing the recipe, you make everything look so simple!!!!!
Thanking you.
...Meera

Vanamala Hebbar October 19, 2014 at 7:56 AM

Meera , Morepuli yu ikarna..potikre different name kudthikre .. epodu pandru morepuli i love that:)

Welcome to Malas - Kitchen Foodie Blog

I thank you for taking time to visit my blog. I appreciate your comments which motivates me and also helps me improve the contents on my Blog. Your comments also make these posts much more interesting to read. Please do continue to leave your views and if you have any queries regarding my recipes please email me at vanamala.hebbar@gmail.com. I would do my best to reply to them ASAP.

Cheers